Bantry Bay (Northern Beaches, Sydney)
Bruce Ridge (Canberra)
Bungarra Alpine Centre (Snowy Mountains)
Currumbin Border Track (NSW/QLD Border)
Daisy Hill (South Brisbane)
East Kowen (Kowen Pine Forest, Canberra)
Forest Pipeline (Northern Beaches, Sydney)
Fred Caterson Reserve (Castle Hill)
Golden Jubilee Field MTB Park (North Shore, Sydney)
Hassans Walls (Lithgow)
Hinze Dam (Gold Coast)
Jindabyne (Snowy Mountains)
Kiwarrak State Forest (Tarree)
Majura Pines (Majura, Canberra)
Manly Dam (Northern Beaches, Sydney)
Mt Joyce (Gold Coast Hinterland)
Mt Kosciuszko (Snowy Mountains)
Nerang State Forest (Gold Coast)
Old Man's Valley (Hornsby, Sydney)
Ourimbah (Central Coast)
Oxford Falls (Northern Beaches, Sydney)
Pilot Wilderness (Snowy Mountains)
Red Hill (Northern Beaches, Sydney)
Rotorua Redwoods (New Zealand)
Silver Mountain (Kellogg)
Singleton (Hunter Valley)
Sparrow Hill (Kowen Pine Forest, Canberra)
St Ives and Belrose (North Shore, Sydney)
Stromlo Forest Park (Canberra)
Terrey Hills (Northern Beaches, Sydney)
The Oaks (Blue Mountains)
Thredbo Resort (Snowy Mountains)
Thredbo Valley Trail (Snowy Mountains)
Whistler Bike Park (Whistler)
Wingello (Southern Highlands)
Wylde MTB Trail (Cecil Park - Western Sydney)
Thredbo ResortLast Update: 4/5/2013
For full information, including maps, photos and detailed info on trail sections use the links on the right
The NSW Snowy Mountains MTB scene rapdily expanding. I’ve decided to keep all the trail locations separated even though some are quite close to each other (and some will one day join up). Sections are: Jindabyne (trails around the dam), Bungarra Alpine Centre, Thredbo River including Lake Crackenback Resort and Spa, Thredbo Resort, Mt Kosciuszko, Perisher (still to come). Rolling Ground have a selection of Snow Mountains MTB Trail Maps available for download
Check Thredbo’s website www.thredbo.com.au for up to date information on trail status, new trails and terms and conditions of riding. There are specific requirements and accrediations needed for some trails.
While the full details are being kept under wraps Thredbo has MASSIVE plans for mountain biking. In spring 2012 World Trail (the company that build Mt Buller’s internationally recognized trail centre) were contracted to develop a “Thredbo mountain bike Concept Plan”.
Their first big improvement was the opening of the Kosciuszko Flow Trail in January 2013. A 5.8km trail that takes a flowy and less technical (blue) route down the mountain. At the time of writing they were also madly shaping what looked like a descent sized pump track in the grassy park at the southern end of Thredbo Village. Check www.thredbo.com.au for details.
With the help of the NPWS they were also on the way to developing a trail linking Thredbo Resort with the trails at Thredbo River (Thredbo Diggings, Bullocks Flat-Thredbo River and Lake Crackenback), due to be complete in 2015. As of April 2013 the Thredbo Valley Trail extended for 6km over the suspension bridges and as far as the Rangers Station (the site of the old Charlotte Pass to Thredbo Chairlift).
There are also a trails around the Golf Course and out to the northern side of Friday Flat called the Bridle Trail Loop (which links up with the Thredbo Valley Trail) and on the eastern side of the Thredbo River the Pipeline Path a short trail from the bridge to the far northern end of Thredbo.
Prior to the summer of 2012 you could ride a Merrits Traverse taking you from the Kosciuszko Express Chairlift across Sponsors and Antons T-Bars, past the Gunbarrel Chairlift right over to the top of the Merrits Chairlift (skiers will know this trail well). The fire trail then descends below/behind the Merrits Restaurant and joins the fire trail or “The flat bit at the bottom of High Noon”. There would be very few people who have skied this trail, not only due to the lack of snow but I’m sure it’s out of bounds – it’s not a marked ski trail. Unfortunately now it can only be ridden with a MTB guide.
It’s exciting times at Thredbo .. its a damn shame it so far from Sydney!
Blog articles that mention this trail
- 6/9/2018 - Silver Mountain Bike Park - is there a better descent in the world?
- 25/10/2017 - Conquering Whistler's Top of the World Trail
- 17/9/2016 - Is the Thredbo AM Trail the best descent in Australia?
- 25/7/2016 - MTB Trail Videos - Trail Centre Upgrade Program
- 17/6/2016 - VIDEO: The Fourth 365 Days of Reign - My 4th year of Mountain Biking
- 7/5/2016 - Pilot Wilderness Ride - Cascade to Pinch - Part 1
- 7/5/2016 - Pilot Wilderness Ride - Cascade to Pinch - Part 2
- 1/1/2016 - VIDEO: 2015 The FAIL Awakens
- 22/11/2015 - VIDEO: Nine Days in the Rotorua Redwoods
- 28/6/2015 - VIDEO: 365 Days of Reign - The Third (year of serious mountain biking)
- 1/6/2015 - Mountain Biking in the NSW Snowy Mountains
- 29/4/2015 - Long term test: Yakima Highroller and Whispbar roof rack
- 1/1/2015 - VIDEO: MTB-TVs TOP 10 Descents of 2014
- 17/6/2014 - 365 Days of Reign - My 2nd Year on a real mountain bike
- 18/5/2014 - Review: the Bionicon C-Guide V2.0
- 1/1/2014 - 2013 Another Year of #FAIL
- 28/12/2013 - We're going to ride the Rotorua Redwoods
- 14/12/2013 - Merry Christmas from MTB-TV - What a year its been
- 3/7/2013 - STROMLO BABY! The Trail Gods come good
- 24/5/2013 - 365 Days of Reign - My 1st Year on a Real Mountain Bike
- 16/4/2013 - Loving the Thredbo Flow Trail
- 14/3/2013 - #ThursdaysTrail - Mt Kosciuszko - The highest ride in Australia
- 13/3/2013 - MTB tyre pressure matters - who would have thought?
- 7/3/2013 - #ThursdaysTrail - Lake Crackenback and Thredbo River
- 19/2/2013 - The next stage of the Thredbo Valley Track under way!
- 29/1/2013 - Out of action for a month
- 27/1/2013 - Conquering Thredbo
- 2/1/2013 - The January 2013 MTB Bucket List